- In preparation: Helmut Staubmann: Cultura, Estética e a Fundamentação da Teoria da Ação – Um tributo a Talcott Parsons (Culture, Aesthetics, and the Foundations of Action Theory – A Tribute to Talcott Parsons. Edited, Translated, and with an Introduction by Hugo Neri and Jayme Gomes Neto).
- The Unpublished Legacy of Talcott Parsons (in cooperation with Victor M. Lidz, fundet by Jubiläumsfonds, Österreichische Nationalbank)
- Helmut Staubmann and Victor Lidz (Eds). Rationality in the Social Sciences. The Schumpeter/Parsons Seminar 1939/40 and Current Perspectives. Cham: Springer 2018.
- Talcott Parsons and Winston White: Values of American Society. Manuscripts from the American Society Project I. Edited and with an Introduction by Victor Lidz and Helmut Staubmann. LIT 2016 (Volume 3 of the book series Studies in the Theory of Action).
- Talcott Parsons and Winston White: Subsystems of American Society. Manuscripts from the American Society Project II. Edited and with an Introduction by Victor Lidz and Helmut Staubmann. LIT Verlag 2018 (Volume 4 of the book series Studies in the Theory of Action).
The working papers in Subsystems of American Society document conceptual developments based on Parsons’ famous four-function paradigm. The included chapters analyze the American economy, polity, and societal community. They represent Parsons’ first attempt to apply the four-function paradigm to the understanding of a complex modern society with highly differentiated institutional structures. As such, they clarify important developments in 20th century sociological theory as well as underscoring Parsons’ insightful understanding of American society.
- Sociology in a New Key. Essays in Social Theory and Aesthetics. Springer 2018. (Manuscript in preparation).
The book title Sociology in a New Key refers to a classic work by Susanne Langer who’s Philosophy in a New Key argued for a reorientation of modern philosophical thought by a thorough account of symbolism in general and of the arts in particular. In this way, the basic ideas and assumptions of the philosophical tradition get transposed to new understandings and perspectives. It was Georg Simmel who claimed to have gained several of his general theoretical insights “by the detour of reflections on the essence of art”. This volume follows his path. It contains essays dealing with fundamental issues of social and cultural theory by looking at them through the lens of aesthetic theory. Aesthetics thereby is understood in its originally broader meaning as referring to the human capacity to come to terms with the senses, emotions, and with bodily conditions. The consequences for social and cultural theory are elaborated by dealing with the works and concepts of Theodor W. Adorno, Gregory Bateson, Clifford Geertz, Jean Marie Guyau, Siegfried Kracauer, Niklas Luhmann, Talcott Parsons, Georg Simmel and others. An introductory part presents a systematic outline of the theoretical transpositions. A final chapter illustrates its capacity for an understanding of the long lasting success of The Rolling Stones as a reflection of our society and culture.
- Social Causality
Published chapters pertaining to the project:
- “Functionalism and the Theory of Action”. In: Hart, Christopher (Ed.): A Collection of Essays in Honour of Talcott Parsons
- “The Rise and Decline of Functionalism and Current Problems of Methodology in the Social Sciences.” Sartoniana 28: 147-161